Overriding console mode for KMS drivers

I have a need to override the mode auto detected by the KMS console drivers in 8.0. The system in question is attached to an old TV via a HDMI->Component converter. The converter advertises modes up to 180p but the TV is only actually capable of 576p. I can see that the variables to set the mode are hooked up to proplib properties but I don't know how to set those properties or what to set them too. Any suggestions?

I did also try overriding the mode using xrandr after boot but that didn't seem to work. However that may have been because the userland code was from 6.x as I can't really upgrade this system to anything newer until I solve the mode problem.

Mike