Re: Trimming a diskless distribution

On 10/14/2018 2:36 PM, Brett Lymn wrote:
I've been "manually" invoking everything that I want/need to run and
capturing any errors logged to sort out what might be missing.

Right - atf can automate this bit for you.  If you are doing a
customised build then you will want to do this agin if/when you update
to make sure things are not broken afterwards.  It means you can
validate things in a consistent and repeatable manner.

I think that's more than I need.  I'm going to pick *a* release
and stick with it (for a very long time -- updates will be difficult).
The bigger concern is deciding that I need to add some particular
binary to this "distribution".  Adding shouldn't break anything
that already works but could require additional dependencies that
haven't been present, prior to that point.

OK, if you say so but manually bashing through all the tests time after
time just to track down some obscure crash is pretty tedious in my mind.

You probably should think seriously about maintaining the image even if
it is for back-porting security updates.

You're used to dealing with "computers" where you CAN change a piece of
software AFTER release.  I deal with devices/appliances where the cost of
upgrading the device far exceeds the cost of the device (and comes at
a huge "reputation cost" in the eyes of the user:  "You mean, this device
has been BROKEN all of this time?")

I'm exploiting the fact that I can throw a NetBSD system onto some COTS
hardware (without requiring it to be a "PC"), embelish it with outboard
devices (so I don't have to get monies approved to build prototypes) and
pitch a proof of concept prototype to Management -- to fund REAL
development efforts.

The NetBSD variant will then be unceremoniously scrapped (it would be silly
to deploy something as big and bulky and likely to need continued updates
in the future when we have our own codebase that addresses our needs far
more precisely).  I just have to ensure that the NetBSD-variant of the
device "appears" to perform all of the basic functions (so Management can
actually "tickle" the prototype and elicit the expected responses/behaviors)
and have a valid explanation for those that the device can't perform.