Re: sysinst(8), `Installing from an unmounted filesystem'

On 10/10/2018 7:28 PM, Robert Elz wrote:
   | I've typically installed them under /usr/src,

That's the standard patrh, though they can go anywhere.

   | (though usually symlinked to a separate partition mounted as /Sources).

You can certainly do it that way, but why not just  mount the
partition as /usr/src and do away with the symlink?   That's cleaner,
and generally better - mounting things in the root directory (including /mnt)
can cause even worse problems than should occur should the device
holding the mounted filesystem ever hang (refuse to do anything, either
dur to software or hardware issues).

Mounting /Sources and symlinking /Sources/src at /usr/src, /Sources/pkgsrc at
/usr/pkgsrc, /Sources/xsrc at /usr/xsrc, etc. covers all the bases.  Where
would you put xsrc if you mount a partition at /usr/src?  Ditto pkgsrc?
Or, /Sources/distfiles?  Or, /Source/mysources?

[Note that the device mounted at /Sources may be an external drive that may or
may not be present at all times]

It lets me keep sources off of systems that don't need them while keeping the
file hierarchy basically consistent -- the "basic" partitions are always the
same size and have the same content.