Correct way to trim the distribution?

Hi,

How to prevent various components from being built? Let's say, I don't
need ftpd/httpd or du or even ls on the target system. I.e. components,
for which there are no special options, like MKHTML or MKGCC or MKYP,
exist. Is it manually removing them from SUBDIR in respective Makefiles?

I don't think me creating custom Makefiles and not using build.sh for
such things was smart :)

(Please don't suggest building it all and then `rm`-ing them -- been
there, done that.)

Thanks in advance

--
caóc