suspend-to-RAM intel-x86 issues and tests

Hi All

I did a Big ACPI/SLEEP compariso (or at least, tried to):

The idea to test current kernels came with a discussion with Christos. I prepared an USB Key with a full install. I have issues with ACPI sleep on the R51, running both NetBSD 8 with original 8 kernel as well as a current HEAD kernel.

I thus booted the USB key on most of the x86 laptops I could get hand of.

Thinkpad T30 (*) - Pentium-4 - ATI Graphics : "fatal protection in supervisor" and reboots

Thinkpad R51 - Pentium-M - Intel Graphics: black screen, no sleep LED, reboot

Thinkpad R52 - Pentium-M - ATI Graphics: [suspends fine under linux] black screen, no sleep LED, reboot

Thinkpad T43 (14")- Pentium-M - ATI Graphics: black screen, no sleep LED, reboot

Thinkpad T43 (newer, 15") - Pentium-M - ATI Graphics: [works on NetBSD 8-0 release] black screen, no sleep LED, reboot

Thinkpad T60 - Core Duo - ATI Graphics: [suspends fine under OpenBSD] black screen, no sleep LED, reboot

Thinkpad X60 - Core Duo L - Intel Graphics: [suspends fine under FreeBSD] : Hard reboot, no messages, no sleep LEDs, nothing

Thinkpad X41 T - Pentium-M - Intel Graphics: [suspèends fine under Linux] Hard reboot

Acer - AMD Athlon: "fatal protection in supervisor" and reboots

(*) no boot from USB, but runs NetBSD 8 I just copied the new kernel and booted it.

So, to sum up, different issues, but the current kernel never goes to sleep. However, since the 15" T43 works with NetBSD, I got suspicious. I thus tried NetBSD-HEAD on the 8 userland (same technique as I used on the T30) and it goes to sleep (but does not wake up properly.

So I conclude that having the system mounted on USB causes issues (which manifests themselves slightly different on different computers) and while it probably should work, it is not a test and adds more issues.

SO running NetBSD-Head on a 8.0 uiserland is probably the best bet, but I can do that only on the subset of laptops which have NetBSD installed.

SO for sure the issues are:

R51: gets black screen, no sleep LED, fan remains up, does not reboot/crash. Needs a Power Cycle

T30: "fatal protection in supervisor" and reboots

T43 "new": does go to sleep, but does not resume (while stock 8 does).

Riccardo

Riccardo