Re: BSD disklabel partition letters in NetBSD

> Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 at 11:56 PM
> From: "Michael van Elst" <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost>
> To: netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost
> Subject: Re: BSD disklabel partition letters in NetBSD

[...]

> The system always uses the disklabel

Yes, IIUC the partition which hosts the NetBSD system always has
a disklabel at its beginning.

> only if none is written to disk,
> a fictious label is generated from other data like an MBR.

Sorry, I can't understand this. Maybe it's related to the following

> The disklabel would be used and 'd' would still be the raw partition.
> The disklabel would also be placed on sector 1.

So, two disklabels in total. But what would be the contents of the
disklabel in sector 1?

> The raw partitition is always special. The extra 'c' partition on MBR
> systems (where the raw partition is 'd') is just helpful but not
> strictly needed. But it's still a good idea to not use it for anything
> else.

Yes, absolutely.

> While it is possible to move root and swap and sometimes it comes handy
> (e.g. to have an alternate root), the default and fallback is to use
> 'a' and 'b'.

Yes, of course, I was asking only to know if they are mandatory or not.

> There is a build parameter MAXPARTITIONS, depending on platform it's 8,12 or 16.
> The maximum value for MAXPARTITIONS is MAXMAXPARTITIONS which is 22.

Ok, good!

> If you don't use disklabel but the wedge system, you get a device per
> partitition, so there is no inherent limit.

I guess you are talking about GPT again.
Sorry for having added some questions and thank you for all your information.

Rocky