Simple way to securely access remote machine that's behind a NAT?

Hi,

I have a (linux raspberry pi) that's remotely located and NATted in such a way that I cannot control that part of the infrastructure, although  do have complete control of the machine otherwise (e.g. access to root).

What I'd like to do is access it from my local NetBSD system (which does have a  'real' IPv4 address), something like this:

1) Start some 'daemon' on the remote linux box that attempts a connection to ...
2) .. my local NetBSD box.

And

3) some local NetBSD program that allows me to get a shell prompt of the remote linux machine here on my NetBSD machine via the connection set up in (1) and (2).

Clearly, if that remote machine had a Real IP Address, I could simply ssh into it.

I've looked at VNC and it seems complicated for what I need.

Is there an 'easy' way to do this?   I'm ready to write some code otherwise.

Thank you all, and i apologize for such a novice question.

-Mike