Re: git https issue

Hi Edgar,

On 08/19/2018 09:28 PM, edgar%pettijohn-web.com@localhost wrote:
Thread 1 received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0xb66f3d50 in gcm_ghash_4bit_mmx () from /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.12

(gdb) bt
#0  0xb66f3d50 in gcm_ghash_4bit_mmx () from /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.12
#1  0x00000000 in ?? ()

very nice :)

now I don't remember if this CPU has MMX or not...
cpu0 at mainbus0
cpu0: Intel 586-class, 232MHz, id 0x581
cpu0: package 0, core 0, smt 0

It should though, according to: https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:600

Riccardo
Looks like you found the issue.
There was a thread on tech I believe talking about something very similar not too long ago. Might be worth looking through the archives.

I took the time to browse through the archives, going back a couple of months, but couldn't find anything regarding this.

I wonder if there is a "solution", but also know exactly what the issue is.
At first I thought it was using MMX without CPU supporting it, but it is not. Then I searched further and found this thread, which I ignored at first because I have "genuine intel"

https://www.mail-archive.com/tech-userlevel%netbsd.org@localhost/msg01643.html

It really looks a crash in the same place and MMX using actually on SSE which my cpu (and probably many others) do not have.

I tried the trick of setting

export OPENSSL_ia32cap=~0x800000
and it works.

Reading the discussion it appears to be an issue on how NetBSD builds libcrypto and that it has been fixed by a commit by Christos.

I wonder if I can get a "new" libcrypto binary somehow, e.g. by a test build, and replace mine? some update without updating the whole system to unstable?

Riccardo