Re: Sizing hardware drive capabilities (in the absence of probed devices)

netbsd-embedded%gmx.com@localhost (Don NetBSD) writes:

>Ah!  So, the sd(4) driver won't pass "non-scsi" commands and
>the sd(4) devices might not accept scsi commands.  (damned if you
>do, damned if you don't)?

The sd driver just passes some byte sequence, some are intercepted by
mfi, some aren't. The mfi firmware might do more before it actually
reaches the disk.

>I'd have to make sure I numbered the targets on each scsibus as well.

Yes, you need to wire scsibus (if there could be more than one) and
you need to wire sd.

>Yes, that's what I'm trying to guard against.  I can almost guarantee
>that someone will get the "bright idea" that they can hack together a
>second appliance -- using DIFFERENT hardware (a computer is a computer,
>right?) and just cloning the system disk.  Then, complain when it
>doesn't work as expected.

You need to wire down scsibus to a specific controller. I.e. adding
another controller or replacing it with a different model makes your
kernel config void.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost