Re: FQDNs for netbooted hosts via DHCP?

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 08:49:31AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> After thinking about it some more, I think the best solution for the FQDN is
> to either fix the DHCP server to send the domain in the hostname field OR
> stop the kernel assigning a hostname OR leave things as they are.

This is tricky. I agree that changing the in-kernel client to not
set the hostname would be the right thing if you run dhcp client
software in userland - but it may break existing
setups (easy to fix, but not good to arbitrarily break).

The behaviour can not be controlled by a sysctl (too late), so would
need to be a kernel commpile time (or patch) option.

Setting the hostname is usefull in environments where userland does not
want to run a dhcp client at all, but also does not want to hardcode
the name in rc.conf - so unconditionally changing the kernel client is
not a good idea.

My vote goes to the last option: leave things as they are.

Martin