Re: Gah... How usable is www/firefox on NetBSD?

On Tue, 1 May 2018, John D. Baker wrote:

> I use firefox52 (so I can have working gtk2 instead of broken gtk3) with
> little problem on NetBSD/amd64-8.0_RC1.
>
> It only occasionally dumps core and quits, usually only after some
> web site gets sideways or I try something odd.

About two weeks after I wrote the above, I started getting the:

  Gah...Your tab just crashed!

on the foreground tab at startup.  Only rarely will clicking "Restore
this tab." work.  While in this state, switching to any other tab will
cause it to crash as well.

Quitting firefox in this state leaves a small (for firefox) core file.
On subsequent launches, the problem may not appear or when it does
"Restore..." may eventually work.  If not, explicitly opening a new tab
and having it load the URL of the crashed tab will usually work.  Move
the new tab ahead of the crashed tab and close the crashed tab.

I most often encounter the problem when starting firefox after completing
a 'cvs update' run on my file server.  Applications opening files on
'amd'-managed NFS mounts while a 'cvs update' is in progress on the file
server may cause the NFS client to hang, so I always quit firefox before
updating.

It seems to take a while for amd-managed NFS clients to recover after
the CVS update.  Clients operating on explicit NFS mounts are not
affected.

File server and client are both up-to-date NetBSD/amd64-8.0_RC2 and the
client is running "www/firefox52".