Re: swap space in file on inconsistent file system

You wrote:

> One useful tool to keep to hand is a USB key with a standard install
> that runs dhcpcd and sshd (and optionally openvpn back to a known
> server), so as long as the BIOS is set to boot USB first and you can
> get someone to plug it in you always have a remote accessible fallback
> boot option
>
> David

Yes, and why not?   Only that the current colo provider won't do
that kind of thing (or anything other than a power cycle).  The
original provider (now swallowed up four or five times over) provided
excellent competent support and backup.   But when I asked to have
a replacement server in the space (which I have paid for on an annual
contract) previously occupied by this machine's defunct twin, I
was referred to a sales team in Sofia, Bulgaria, who now say there
is no record of my having colo space.

On the new replacement machines I have four distinct ways of booting,
including from a DVD-RAM as a last resort, plus a proper remote
management console independent of the motherboard.

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestions (and to the others who replied
off-list).

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>