Re: wip/virtualbox vs emulators/qemu vs xen performance comparison?

On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 10:59:53PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> I have a requirement where I plan to use NetBSD amd64 as a primary OS and
> the system needs to occasionally run Windows for some applications.
> Currently this is done with Linux-Virtualbox-Windows combo which I want to
> migrate to NetBSD-and what?
>
> Various mailing lists report Virtualbox to be faster. I  have used the
> same on Linux and found it satisfactory. I have used qemu on NetBSD and
> felt it was slower.
>
> In general is the motivation behind wip/virtualbox - speed and
> performance? Would appreciate inputs.
>
> And yes, I think I should consider xen in the comparison as well. (I don't
> have processor details right now to assess virtualization support. Will
> post soon. Assume it's supported.)

If you want to run on a desktop you'll probably run into graphic drivers
issues with NetBSD/Xen.

qemu on NetBSD is a plain emulator, no hardware speedup.

I'm not sure what virtualbox would do on a NetBSD host. AFAIK this would
need some kernel support which we don't have.