Re: sshguard fails to start

Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 11:03:38PM +0100, Mike Pumford wrote:
>> I'm going to be attempting to reproduce it in npf as well as I've got an
>> updated firewall box to deploy which I'm hoping will use npf instead of ipf
>> (assuming I can make npf do everything I want).
>
> FWIW I'm going back to ipf: AFAICT keep state with ipf sends replies back
> through the interface the requests came in on, but npf obeys the routing
> table. It seems I was relying on ipf's behaviour. Feature? Bug?

To first order, a firewall should pass/drop, and not adjust routing,
unless there's some extra rule which makes an affirmative request to
grab a packet and reroute it contrary to the routing table.   keep state
is just a 2nd-order rule to add temporary rules for replies to packets
seen in one direction.

So I think you are relying on a probably-bug.

If you disable the firewall briefly, does your system still work?  (Or
do you think it would, if you don't want to?)