blacklistd "-r" option to retain rules after reboot

I had to reboot my server for some reason. On reboot I find that npf state
is not retained, while blacklistd has retained the state.

man blacklistd says:

     -r      Re-read the firewall rules from the internal database, then
             remove and re-add them.  This helps for packet filters that don't
             retain state across reboots.

How to exercise this option? Is there a way to add it to rc.conf or does
it require editing /etc/rc.d/blacklistd?

BTW, shouldn't this be enabled by default on NetBSD?

Mayuresh