Re: after upgrade to 7.1.2 X doesn't start anymore

Hi Manuel,

On 2018-04-15 11:50:56 +0200 Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

- mtrr failure is expected, this is a Pentium MMX, so the register is not
there if my memory doesn't fail,
- the keysym errors were happening also on the old version

what is "Exec: not found" ? an executable is missing?

Yes, unfortunably it doens't say what's the path is.

What do you have in your .xinitrc ? the error may come from here ...

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It was dumb easy!
While editing in vi, I transformed exec in Exec in the initrc! So well "Exec" was not found!

How stupid!

However, I have sad news. On 7.1.2 Xorg now almost kills my machine.

1) it starts up to the point where I get a black screen and a mouse pointer (thus I suppose video is detected and the old neomagic driver still somehow works)
2) I never get further, it remains freezed
3) any telnet connection I had into the machine dies
4) I go to the console with ctrl-alt-F1 and can kill the X server and get back to a prompt

I notice tons of these messages:
tlp0: filter setup and transmit timeout

this means... X killed my network card somwehow. So it is more than just the machine not working.

Luckily I can reboot.

Any ideas what can go wrong and more important, how to fix it? :) 6.1 was working perfectly on this "vintage" THinkPad

Riccardo