Re: Native sound system

Am Donnerstag, 5. April 2018, 02:37:38 CEST schrieb Aaron B.:
> But if you mean interfacing with hardware synthesizers made before 1999
> or so - then MIDI is the only way to go. There is still quite a bit of
> such equipment still in use that will be used until it dies.
>
> Even modern USB based keyboards, knob boxes, and other such audio
> controllers often emulate a USB to MIDI interface to interact with
> software. This spares the expense of writing custom drivers.
USB-MIDI "is" part of the MIDI standard.

Nearly any new modern electronic instrument today is equipped with MIDI - as
DIN MIDI oder USB-MIDI (or both). I.e. take a look into i.e. any larger music
equipment shop today. And MIDI is not only used for instruments anymore - it
is a widely used standard in quasi any modern / professional studio (in soft
and hardware) for M&C applications and much morre.

The amount of MIDI capable devices worldwide ist still strongly growing.
There was/is a kind of "renaissance of MIDI" which led the MIDI Association
to work on a extended version of MIDI today.
https://www.midi.org/

so - for developers "outside" the music industry and scene - MIDI is far from
"obsolete" or "small niche..." today...ß)

this jfyi.

many thanks,
best regards,

niels.