Re: How does NetBSD handle fsync() that incurs I/O errors?

rhialto%falu.nl@localhost (Rhialto) writes:

>Can I at least hope that if fsync() returns an error, and the device
>doesn't recover, that next attempts to fsync() keep reporting the error?

No. The data is lost and the next fsync will only report a failure if the
new fsync operation fails. Even worse, if the write error includes metadata
then the filesystem may panic if it tries to read and interpret the data.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost