Re: advice on disk replacement

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 14:56:03 +0000 (UTC)
steve%prd.co.uk@localhost (Steve Blinkhorn) wrote:

> I got really helpful advice last year concerning bad disk sectors
> on my remote servers (Fujitsu Primergy Rx100 D1483).   The opportunity
> has come to replace the disks (currently one Seagate ST380011A 80
> GByte 7200rpm per machine - the size is adequate to the task), and
> I an mindful of the advice to use RAID.  The smallest replacement
> I can find is 500Gbyte, and there are only two disk bays in the
> chassis.  I'm taking the opportunity to put much more RAM on them
> at the same time.
>
> Any advice as to the best way to proceed?
>
> --
> Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I've done something
similar for my workstation recently. Replaced SATA HDD with Samsung 850
Pro SSD. Onboard SATA controller was pretty slow, so I also installed
LSI 9260-8i PCIe card (about £40 from ebay). I/O performance and
latency are so much better now, I would only buy SSDs from now on, more
expensive, but really worth it.