Re: 7_STABLE build fails

* Gua Chung Lim (gua.chunglim%gmail.com@localhost) wrote:
> * Fekete Zoltn (fekete.zoltan%minux.hu@localhost) wrote:
> > Appending -u after -U does solve the problem?
> I fixed it. I simply do ./build.sh kernel=GENERIC, without any options.
>
> lim@netbsd:~% uname -a
> NetBSD netbsd.localdomain 7.1_STABLE NetBSD 7.1_STABLE (GENERIC) #0: Sat Feb  3 21:55:51 +07 2018  root@netbsd.localdomain:/usr/obj/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC amd64
>
> I'm now building distribution.
> To see if it gets compiled.
build distribution completed. :-)

But I still doubt some questions.
Normally I cvs source tree once a month. And I do this procedure in order.
ref: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-updating.html#updating-procedure

# cd /usr/src
# cvs update -Pd (I always adhere with _STABLE.)
# ./build.sh -r -O ../obj -T ../tools -U distribution
# ./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U kernel=GENERIC
# mv /netbsd /netbsd.old
# mv /usr/obj/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC/netbsd /
# shutdown -r now
Distribution was compiled and kernel was compiled and installed. Then reboot.
# cd /usr/src
# ./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U install=/
# /usr/sbin/etcupdate [-s /usr/src]
# shutdown -r now
The procedure above works most of the times, except this time.

This time my first build distribution failed (I didn't log).
I did googling, someone said "kernel should be built prior to distribution".
But ONLY build kernel WITHOUT any options i.e. ./build.sh kernel=GENERIC works.
And I change some order i.e. build and install kernel before build distribution.
And install distribution after reboot. This procudure works for this time.

My questions are...
1. In correct order, which one to build first between kernel and distribution?
2. When to build distribution? I was told, sometimes build distribution is not required.
3. When to use options -O ../obj -T ../obj? As sometimes without options it compiles.
4. On fresh installed system from iso, is ./build.sh tools always required?

build.sh is only a script, ./build.sh -help is not much detailed as man pages.

Thank you,

--
Gua Chung Lim

To live is to love.