Re: Netbsd-7/i386 won't boot on new motherboard/CPU

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:00 AM, Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>> The kernel boots just past the first acpi message and then just sits
>> there "forever" (minutes is all I've waited).
>
> Try disabling ACPI. There is probably an option in the bootloader menu
> to do that.

I got a few private responses, thanks for that.

Some more notes:

I can't seem to make this motherboard's BIOS disable ACPI.

From here I have sort of "chicken and egg" problems.

I wrote a i386/8.0 installer to a USB stick and it boots past the
kernel (so no ACPI issues), but it wants me to tell it what root disk
to use. I thought it would want to use the USB stick as the root. It
only allows me to give it "wd0a", which has a netbsd-7 userland and no
modules, so it just dumps me to a sh prompt.

Found out I need to tell the USB stick's bootloader to disable ACPI
and use no SMP (not sure about SMP though), then it boots semi
properly.

From the /bin/sh I can't do "anything" though. I plugged in another
USB stick with an 8.0 install kernel, but I can't figure out how to
mount it. mount -t msdos /dev/sd1{a,d,e} /mnt doesn't work (Invalid
argument for sd1d, others don't exist). Also, ifconfig only shows lo0,
so no network adapter. I'll try putting another one in.

I guess I could try netbooting using PXE from the BIOS. Was hoping it
would be easier to get to 8.0 than that though.

Still working on it.

Andy