Re: analyzing cores on a different computer

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:

> I have the need to analyze kernel crashes on a different computer with
> different arch. Is it possible?
>
> I have a computer running 7 on which I am testing current kernels to
> test ACPI sleep. The userland is still release stuff.
> On an amd64 computer running current with current userland, I
> cross-compile an i386 kernel.
> I want to analyze the i386 crash to get a stacktrace.

You have to crossbuild gdb, too.  Just as the build uses cross tools
(gcc, as, ld, nm, strip), you use a cross gdb.

My basic recommendation is to first do a full release build of the i386
current system under test (that you are installing) on your fast box.
Then you have to get it to build gdb cross.

I think

MKCROSSGDB=yes

in mk.conf is enough but I am not sure.  see src/tools/Makefile.

Note that the cross tools for i386 will be in

  ${TOOLDIR}/i486--netbsdelf/bin

because that's what the GNU autoconf calls the platform.  And also as e.g

  i486--netbsdelf-objdump