Re: Cannot login via xdm after fresh install

I have been bitten by this quite a few times before, so I started preparing in advance a .xsession file. Looking at this thread, I decided to check how things are now with -current and installed a fresh overnight build under VirtualBox with full configuration during sysinstall, enabling xdm and creating a new user. Everything worked as expected, the three default processes were started properly, I could checkpoint a session etc. So whatever the reason was with the earlier versions, with 8.99.2 it seems just fine.

The only thing which didn't work was first login with the created user - it didn't get the password - but I was able to login as root - again with xdm - and reset that password, after which the user login also worked as expected. That could have been a pebcak, though.

Chavdar

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 at 20:57 Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:
On Sun 17 Sep 2017 at 22:43:38 +0300, Erkki Ruohtula wrote:
> Tried it. It does not help. In any case xsm gets run in
> the same enviroment as .xsession would be run, and the latter
> has no trouble starting twm and xterm.

A pity.

> I wonder if everyone using X11 on NetBSD does it by setting
> up .xsession before enabling xdm, so the default session
> never got tested...

That was indeed what I effectively did on my most recent install... just
copied over my home directory. I think I did notice the same thing as
you did, but I didn't spend any time investigating it.

> Erkki
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.