Re: Getty on USB serial port

William D. Jones <thor0505%comcast.net@localhost> wrote:

> * `getty` is in fact spawning the `NetBSD (hostname) (tty?) login:`
> message and prompt, correct?  Then `getty` will execve `login
> [user]` to ask for the password?  One thing that confuses me is that
> the "user" prompt from both login and getty are identical.  So I
> thought `getty` somehow execve's `login` to immediately show a
> prompt once certain conditions (RTS/CTS control?) of the serial line
> are met.

getty(8) prints the first login: prompt and reads the username to be
able to look at the input and try to infer additional tty modes, iirc.
E.g. when upper-case only terminals were still a thing it would check
the login name for upper case letters and turn on case mapping.  Then
"login user" it executes asks for the password, and if you make a
mistake, the next "login:" prompt is from login(1)..

-uwe