Re: dhcpcd and multiple IPv6 gateways on one interface

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Roy Bixler <rcbixler%nyx.net@localhost> wrote:
> Update: something changed on the network and I'm not getting the
> syslog spam anymore.  The only evidence of the change I have is an
> "arp info overwritten" message for the IPv4 default router.  So, I
> suppose that the syslog spam might have been showing a real problem in
> the router configuration.  Whatever it was, I still see multiple
> default gateways for IPv6 in Linux, so I still have a question about
> that.

It is the case that certain network devices (ahh Cisco) like to "be a
router" as soon as you set up an IPv6 address on an interface. You
have to do a bunch of stuff to turn off router advertisements if you
just want an interface with an IPv6 address. This might be happening
in your network.

I'm not sure if there is a proper way for a host to handle this. Would
be interested to see what the routing table on the Linux machine looks
like. It would be interesting to know if it's trying to do
reachability for something (don't know what) and decide which one
works and put it higher in the table.

That was an unresearched response, hopefully someone else knows more.

Andy