Thinkpad R400 no kbd after sleep

Hi.

I recently got a Thinkpad R400 for cheap to replace my failing T61.
dmesg here: http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=3250
It wakes up after S3 sleep and initializes the screen fine however
the keyboard doesn't work right. I can change VT with Ctrl-Alt-Fn and
get into ddb with Ctrl-Alt-Esc however typing on the console does not work at all.
No characters appear on screen at all.
(I also noticed that I can't ssh/ping the machine... this could perhaps be fixed within the powerd script?)
I get some errors from the firewire during wakeup but nothing kbd-related.
Is there anything I can do or investigate further?

PS.
It seems that every machine I get the master volume is on "outputs.master2" so
programs and mixers don't work right. This is very annoying IMO. Is there a way to
rectify this?

/B