question on tuning devices with usbhidctl

I fire up usbhidaction and it seems to work. Then as soon as I try to use the device, usbhidaction dies with this "device busy" error. What am I doing wrong? The actions will get executed (once) but then the whole thing collapses. I keep yelling "YEAH! It's BUSY! I'm the one using it!" but that doesn't seem to help, either. :-)

$ usbhidaction -d -c /home/aliver/griffin_powermate.conf -f 7
usbhidaction: /dev/uhid7: Device busy

I'm trying to get my Griffin Powermate knob working. Some extra information follows. This is what I see when I use: usbhidctl -d 7 -lva

Consumer:Consumer_Control.Button:Button_1=0
Consumer:Consumer_Control.Generic_Desktop:Rx=1
Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=0
Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=79
Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=16
Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:Consumer_Control=0

The top two values change when I manipulate the knob. The bottom four duplicate values don't. Here is what I've setup as a configuration file for usbhidaction:

Consumer:Consumer_Control.Generic_Desktop:Rx 1 mixerctl -n -w outputs.master++
Consumer:Consumer_Control.Generic_Desktop:Rx -1 mixerctl -n -w outputs.master--
Consumer:Consumer_Control.Button:Button_1 0 mixerctl -n -w outputs.mute++

I'm thinking that usbhidaction can't take the state changes as fast as the knob can pump them out. However, it's just a pure hunch.

-Swift