Re: license terms for /etc/release file

Hope this helps https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2017/07/13/msg019836.html

On 14-Jul-2017 11:01 AM, "David Pinto" <carandraug+etc%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Hi

I am packaging a perl distribution (system-info) for Debian which
includes the file /etc/release from NetBSD systems [1,2].  This files
have a copyright header but no actual copyright terms which makes them
a bit problematic for distribution.

On freenode's #NetBSD I was told that the file is not really under
copyright, and that the notice pertains to the entire NetBSD release.
I would guess then that the file is either not copyrightable or under
the same license as the rest of the distribution.  For what is worth,
that notice is there via [3, 4].

If someone could confirm or clarify the situation, that would be great
as then I would have a link to use as reference.

Thank you
Carnë

[1] https://github.com/Tux/System-Info/blob/master/t/etc/netbsd-6.99.24/release
[2] https://github.com/Tux/System-Info/blob/master/t/etc/netbsd-7.99.4/release