Re: Recurrent disk activity every minute

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 08:56:29PM +0200, Leonardo Taccari wrote:
> No idea if that will increase/decrease disk life span but I think
> that `atactl <device> setidle 0' and/or `atactl <device> setstandby 0'
> is what you're looking for!

Thanks. Actually setidle and setstandby to 0 did not stop clucking sound,
to put objectively Load Cycle Count kept growing.

But atactl wd0 apm set 253 did stop the nuisance completely.

Probably I should put this command in /etc/rc.local

[I recollect doing an equivalent thing on Linux, but for strange reasons,
the apm setting used to bounce back to 1 automatically after a while, may
be due to some events. Hence I had to resort to a loop that just queried
smart status every half minute and launch such loop in /etc/rc.local]

Thanks again for pointing to atactl.

Mayuresh.