Re: Newbie: Thunar / Removable Media Question

Jay Patel <jaypatel.ani%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Maybe we can port something like hotplugd from OpenBSD
> http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.1/hotplugd.8

Or, for that matter, autofs from FreeBSD:

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=autofs&sektion=5&manpath=freebsd-release-ports

But I wonder how smoothly hotplugd on OpenBSD works in practice. It
seems that you still have to write "attach" scripts:

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20131113030229

See also:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=7613

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=8242 (concerns Xfce/Thunar)

And didn't OpenBSD 6 remove the ability for an ordinary user to mount
anything?! (I recall reading something to this effect.)

But if it works relatively smoothly, then OpenBSD is a step ahead of
NetBSD in this respect.

On NetBSD, I think that amd is only feasible alternative at present
(even if amd wasn't intended for removable media per se), but it would
require a little effort. Here's another old thread:

http://netbsd-users.netbsd.narkive.com/h4DlOnRx/new-to-netbsd-usb-mass-storage-hotplug

C.