Re: NetBSD, ipv6, and linode

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016, atomicules wrote:
I use NetBSD on Linode, but still a XEN install (if it ain't broke,
don't fix it). All I do for ipv6 is:

I converted from Xen to KVM to get one of the free upgrades they
offered, I think it was for more RAM or something, but they required
changing the underlying hypervisor.

That took most of a day to straighten out and get the system back
online.  I should have taken notes and posted them somewhere to help
out others that might find themselves in the same boat.  I think the
option that finally made it work was to change the virtualization mode
from paravirtualization to full-virtualization, but I'm not 100% sure on
that... I basically went in there and toggled everything at once.

All of the boot-helpers are very much useless if you're not running one
of their supplied penguin distros.

With the hypervisor change, all the device names changed too.  The disks
go from being /dev/xbd* to /dev/wd*, the NIC went from xennet0 to wm0,
so, fun with booting an install kernel, mounting the disk and manually
fixing things there.  The last part that bit me was forgetting to fix my
ipf.conf to reflect the new NIC name, spent more time than I'd like to
admit trying to figure out why I could bring up networking manually in
single-user-mode but couldn't do anything on the network when boot to
multi-user mode. *sigh*

dhcpcd="YES"
ip6mode="autohost"

in rc.conf and this works automagically for me.

I'll give that a shot.  Not sure why I decided to do rtsol instead of
dhcpcd, but neither rtsol or static methods have worked for me yet, I'll
give dhcpcd a try later.

The only issue I have is dmesg gets spammed with:

"in6_ifadd: 2a01:7e00::f03c:91ff:fe70:e653 is already configured"

Already seeing that.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX