Re: HP DL380G9 Disk Controllers

Somewhere around the Px1x they implemented a new firmware interface (which
supports MSI and otherwise does look a little more efficient).  Our driver
doesn't support it, which is a little unfortunate.  However, at least through
the Px2x series the old interface is still supported and works fine.

We have P410 and P420 controllers in a number of the TNF machines.  They work
great and the flash-backed write cache really does avoid a lot of the annoying
problems with batteries that we've had with other RAID controllers.

I don't have any Px[34]x controllers to test with.  If the old interface is
still there, they'll work.  If not, they won't.  They have some really nifty
looking features, though, like full rate controller-based encryption (which
for obvious reasons, you really really want with SSDs).  I'd love to know
whether they work.

HP has historically done a really good job maintaining backwards compat
with these controllers.  From the Px1x to the Px2x they changed out the
hardware from LSI to PMC-Sierra but our driver still works just fine.  And
their firmware is usually more stable and sometimes more performant than
what the RAID chip vendor ships on their equivalent cards (certainly I have
not had good luck with the "Adaptec" branded PMC-Sierra cards).  However,
a couple of years ago I believe they sold the IP and possibly the development
team for these products to PMC-Sierra so I don't know what that means for the
very latest models.

--
 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                      tls%panix.com@localhost

			Ring the bells that still can ring.