Re: questions about routing via tun(4) interfaces

Chuck Musser <cmusser%sonic.net@localhost> writes:

> 3. Routing didn't work until t gave the tun a local address. I picked
> an arbitrary one, 10.0.0.1, which is not on either the local nor
> remote networks. Why is it needed?

Some things may work anyway, but you should think of tun like a real
point-to-point interface that happens to be virtual instead of
physical.  So if the link between two hosts were real, you would
probably assign (in the IPv4 case) interfaces.

The 4.4BSD routing socket code has a number of options like -interface
and -link, and I am not sure they are 100% as intended; certainly they
are complicated and totally understood by very few.