Re: Compiling minimal userland?

wogiz%openmailbox.org@localhost ("William Z.") writes:

>Hi,

>I'm currently trying to replace Linux with NetBSD in some of
>my embedded devices.

>I have read "The Guide" and found out how to create a crosscompiler and
>compile a tiny custom kernel. However, I also want to create a very
>minimal userland, but as far as I can tell "The Guide" only explains how
>to compile the full NetBSD userland.

>How can I disable unneeded parts of the userland?

The build system only distinguishes between "with X11" and "without X11"
but otherwise builds everything.

The build result however is a little bit more fine grained by providing several 'sets'.

The 'base' and 'etc' sets make the minimal system, you don't need to install
the other sets like 'comp' or 'games'. A minimal kernel will have everything
necessary included, so you don't need 'modules' either.

Of course 'base' may still provide things that are unneeded for your purpose.
Sometimes you also need parts from other sets, e.g. 'misc' or 'text', but which
are rather small.

A base system needs about 200MB on disk.

There is currently no support for splitting the system into smaller chunks.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost