Re: upgrading an old system

Very gratefule for all the good advice.    Here's the story so far.
First of all, I was able to boot a 7.0 kernel with no difficulty - and
in the process discovered that there have been 2 CPUs all along.   But
the disk layout is sorely in need of revision.   So I have tried
everything I can find: in summary, cutting a new install image CD
failed to producenything that worked in the CD-ROM drive.   I have a
2.02 install CD that goes into sysinst, but skips the disk layout
process and goes straight to installing sets.  Other bootable media I
have don't boot in this drive.   I do remember the days when CD-ROM
drives could be very fussy about CD-R and CD-RW media.

The 3.0 machine has a much saner disk layout - very possibly because I
configured it, whereas the 2.0 was configured by data centre staff way
back when.   So I think I can move that forwad straightforwardly.

Is the disk layout configuration tool accessible other than through
running sysinst, or will I have to bite the bullet and edit the disk
label by hand?   I think there is a sensibly sized root partition on
the 2.0 machine, so it might be possible to leave that untouched,
adjust the (insanely small) swap partition, and set up a sensible
layour for the rest of the disk while keeping a bootable root
partition.

All thoughts welcome.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>

This email is for the addressee only.   If you are not the addressee
you should immediately delete this email from your system(s) and
inform us.   It may contain information that is confidential or
otherwise privileged, and should not be copied or redistributed to
recipients not originally specified as addressees without permission.

S F Blinkhorn MA PhD CPsychol FBPsS, Managing Director,
Psychometric Research & Development Ltd.
PO Box 1143, St Albans, Herts, AL1 9UT, UK
Registered in England No. 1909571
Registered Office: 45 Grosvenor Rd., St Albans, Herts, AL1 3AW
Phone: +44 (0)1727 841455
http://www.prd.co.uk