Re: i1915drmkms system crash in NetBSD 7.0

On 5/8/2016 1:12 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi,

Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:

I have a system with ASROCK B85M Pro4 Board and Intel Core i5-4590S processor which has Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics. I thought I would try booting NetBSD/amd64 7.0 on it, since I read on the web that NetBSD plans to support Intel integrated graphics up to Haswell in NetBSD 7.0.

it might be related, it might be not since I am using a different card but still the 915 driver.. but while running both 7.0 release and current, i get a message that an interrupt storm. WHile running a lock-debug kernel, the kernel crashes.

drm: GPU HANG: ecode -1:0x00000000, reason: Command parser error, iir 0x00008010, action: continue drm: GPU hangs can indicate a bug anywhere in the entire gfx stack, including userspace.
<...>
drm: HPD interrupt storm detected on connector DP-2: switching from hotplug detection to polling

have you seen something like this in your boot messages?

Riccardo

No I am not seeing this interrupt storm message, I saw a bug report about that (pr kern/50618, Massive interrupt storm when DPMS active) submitted by Joel Bertrand but I don't think I am seeing that problem. According to that pr, the interrupt storm occurs when DPMS is active. On my system the display on the console just powers down during boot, and moving the mouse or hitting a key doesn't wake it up. So I don't think my system is in DPMS state, it just is not able to display anything on the display shortly after boot, no matter what I do.

I did some more tests on my system and discovered my system does not actually crash during boot, and once I set up the network I could ping it or even ssh into it over the network, but no matter what, a few seconds after boot the monitor just powers down and I cannot ever get the screen to display a login prompt on the console. I have a 1920x1080 HD monitor connected using HDMI. I tried a recent -current kernel and it also goes to a blank screen shortly after boot, before I ever get to a login prompt on the console. I can also ssh into the system remotely with a recent -current kernel and the 7.0 userland. I have not tried the full -current (kernel + userland) yet.

Now that I can get into the system via ssh after boot, I can post some information from dmesg. I have attached some relevant snippets from dmesg on my system running NetBSD 7.0/amd64 as follows:

NetBSD 7.0 (GENERIC.201509250726Z)
total memory = 16037 MB
avail memory = 15554 MB
kern.module.path=/stand/amd64/7.0/modules

i915drmkms0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x0412 (rev. 0x06)
drm: Memory usable by graphics device = 2048M
drm: Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
drm: Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
i915drmkms0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 16 (i915)
intelfb0 at i915drmkms0
i915drmkms0: info: registered panic notifier
i915drmkms0: More than 8 outputs detected via ACPI
intelfb0: framebuffer at 0xffff8001188c9000, size 1920x1080, depth 32, stride 7680

drm: Enabling RC6 states: RC6 on, RC6p off, RC6pp off

acpivga0 at acpi0 (GFX0): ACPI Display Adapter
acpiout0 at acpivga0 (DD01, 0x0100): ACPI Display Output Device

acpiout14 at acpivga0 (DD0F, 0x000f): ACPI Display Output Device
acpiout15 at acpivga0 (DD1F, 0x0400): ACPI Display Output Device
acpivga0: unknown output device acpiout0

acpivga0: unknown output device acpiout14
acpivga0: connected output devices:
acpivga0:   0x0400 (acpiout15): Unknown Output Device, head 0

I also tried booting 7.0 without acpi and dmesg seemed to report the same configuration for i915drmkms as with acpi, but without acpi, dmesg does not report any vga devices at all, so I also got a blank screen in that case.

Chuck

---