Re: compression in dump(8)

In article <alpine.NEB.2.11.1605021404130.2294%m83.parsec.com@localhost>,
Swift Griggs  <swiftgriggs%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>On Mon, 2 May 2016, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> Doesn't that work? zcat dump.gz | restore -f -
>
>Yes it does. What I don't believe will work is this (interactive restores
>when I only want to restore a few files):
>
>restore -i -f /path/to/mydump

It does; the dump format puts the directory info first so that it
can restore the stuff you selected in a single pass (it does not
need to seek backwards). Of course if you select some, restore,
try to select some more, restore... It will not work since it will
need to seek backwards then. Remember all this stuff was designed
with tapes in mind, not random access devices.

christos