Poor quality pdf from firefox and now graphviz

I am running NetBSD 7.0 amd64.

For a long time I have been facing poor quality pdf output (poor
resolution fonts with pixels appearing) from the "Print to File" dialog
of firefox. I somehow thought it was firefox problem.

But today I installed graphviz from pkgin repository and find the same
issue with pdf produced using graphviz.

I noticed "Creator" property of pdf to be "cairo" and hence upgraded cairo
to 1.14.6, latest in pkgin repository. Still the problem persists.

Both firefox and graphviz used to work fine for me a while back. So I
think the problem is due to either a common component they use or may be
some missing fonts etc.

Please advise.

Mayuresh.