Re: NetBSD's LVM works great for me

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016, Swift Griggs wrote:
I've been using LVM under NetBSD now in 7.0 since the release. I have found it to be remarkably stable for such a newly implemented set of features. Maybe I just haven't been doing enough to beat on it.

It's been around since the -6 era, so it's not that new.

How possible/likely is it that NetBSD's LVM could get:

I don't think any major development has been done on LVM since it was committed which is a shame as, while solid, it has missing features as you describe.

I would add multipathing as a wish-list item too.

 * LVM caching devices ala Linux. RHEL 7.1 intro'd this and it works
   quite well. Ie.. using a fast disk to cache & front-end slower ones.
   This way you can get a ZIL-like feature without having ZFS or any
   specific file system.

 * Some kind of DRBD-async-proxy-alike feature. I know this is the killer
   pay-only feature in DRBD. It's also extremely wonderful. I'm probably
   dreaming, but this would be awesome. It could be implemented in LVM
   ala VxVM's "Volume Replicator" (which is also a "pay us a bit more
   because we know you want this awesome feature"). It could also be done
   standalone in a separate subsystem.

Have you looked at HAST in FreeBSD?

https://wiki.freebsd.org/HAST

--