Re: Silly shell question

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
Yes just use getenv. See the manpage. I wouldn't call it a "client" but either a child or replacement.

Got it. That makese sense. Johnny described it as "inheriting the environment" and that concept makes a lot of sense.

The concept doesn't exist at that level. Have a look at the execve manpage. Also have a look at the src/bin/sh source too: execcmd in eval.c environment in var.c tryexec in exec.c

Juicy. This is perfect. I've got all those open right now, I'm learning a ton. I see what you guys are saying about "environment" at a low level. Thanks a lot!

-Swift