Re: Automatic switching between PPP, LAN, WLAN

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 04:25:13PM +0100, Frank Wille wrote:

> I'm currently experimenting to find a way to make my notebook always select
> the best network connection possible. The priority should be:
>
> 1. LAN
> 2. WLAN
> 3. PPP (UMTS, LTE, etc.)
>
> (...)
>
> With PPP as third option it is getting complicated. I have to make sure that
> "/etc/rc.d/ppp start" is executed when both, LAN and WLAN lost carrier. And
> "/etc/rc.d/ppp stop" must be run when one of LAN or WLAN is becoming
> available again.

I would not do any of that but rather leave both LAN and WLAN up, let
dhcpcd do the rest and *maybe* adjust route metric parameters in
dhcpcd.conf.  Maybe, because dhcpcd by default does what most people
would prefer:

   Metrics are used to prefer an interface over another one, lowest
   wins.  dhcpcd will supply a default metric of 200 + if_nametoindex(3).
   An extra 100 will be added for wireless interfaces.

Not sure about PPP;  It seems like falling back to PPP is not something
I'd like a laptop to do automatically.

Also that pkill -x ssh part seems risky.