Re: www/midori is handy when several other browsers fail to work with some sites

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 07:00:31PM +0000, Mike Pumford wrote:

> >I've encountered https://finance.yahoo.com
>
> Well this one is wierdly broken. Firefox on Windows (44.0.2) works fine.
> Firefox on NetBSD 7 also 44.0.2 gets the mobile site. So this isn't so much
> a firefox issue as a firefox NetBSD issue that's very specific to this site.
> Have you made any attempt to talk to them about it?
> Even more weirdly when I hit that site in Microsoft Edge I get a link
> promoting Firefox!
>
> The google one seems to think I'm browsing with chrome and doesn't offer a
> chrome download but apart from that it renders the page fine and has exactly
> the same content as the windows version of firefox.
>
> My firefox builds are:
>
> Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:44.0)
> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0
>
> Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; NetBSD amd64; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefo
> x/44.0
>
> Mike

Yes, that is what I mean - it gets identified as ChromeOS, which results
in very unhelpful content (I wanted to download it to run in QEMU).

I have tried to contact Yahoo.

I feel like these issues would be immediately resolved by masking user
agent as a Windows Firefox client, which is considerably more common.

In Firefox this can be controlled by creating a string in about:config
called general.useragent.override and setting it to your preferred user
agent.

I carry my NetBSD user agent proudly ;) (and don't run into many such
issues), but it may help others.

I see there's even site-specific overrides, but I haven't tried to use
those.