Re: GPT, wedges and RAID-1 on new server with NetBSD 7

Gerard Lally <gerard.lally%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> If I want separate / swap and /home, I presume I should delete raid1a
> and create raid1a, raid1b and raid1e instead (by clicking on its
> parent raid1 and selecting "Edit BSD partitions")?

Separately from how to use sysinst for this (which I've never done), I
think it is sensible to have partitions within a raid.   I typically
have wd0a/wd1a as type raid, being mostly the whole disk, and then
within raid0 have a/b/e/f.

> I create these and proceed with installation as normal, selecting
> raid1 as the available disk on which I want to install NetBSD. But
> each time I do this I get the dreaded error "FATAL: No bootable medium
> found! System halted."
>
> Where am I going wrong? One thing I note is that I am not asked at any
> point to install bootcode to the disks as I would be with non-RAID
> setups.

Probably you can boot to utility and run installboot manually on wd0a/wd1a.

> If it's not possible to do this with sysinst is it at least possible
> to do it by dropping to a shell?

When I want to set up a new raid system, I tend to get a bootable disk
with a minimal system and boot that and do the whole disk setup
including bootblocks by hand.  But I suspect you are just missing
bootblocks.

> Ideally I would like to use GPT with the RAID-1 setup as well, since I
> will be on 2 x 2TB disks and I anticipate this getting bigger, not
> smaller in years to come. I have successfully set up NetBSD with GPT
> by dropping to a shell but I don't know where to add RAID into that
> mix.

As others commented it seems disklabel-in-raid-in-gpt works.  So that
leads to having two raid sets.  One is small enoguh to fit in 2T, and
would have root, swap, /var, /usr sorts of things.  The other would be
just bare raid in gpt, and have a filesystem in raid0d.  or maybe gpt
inside raid.  The point is that the >2T raid doesn't have a disklabel
(because it's too big) and doesn't have root (because the bootblocks
can't yet find it).