Reformatting little USB-harddisks

Hi List,
you sure know these little external USB-harddisks, often used for laptops
or basic backups. Like WD-Passport and Seagate Expansion and whatever
they name them.

They come FAT formatted, right? Has anyone of you tried to
reformat them for NetBSD? I guess its not a big thing, but I wonder if I
can buy any brand (need it for portable server backup and need GID/UID) or
there are some models what make trouble with formatting, partitioning or
mounting.

I had some trouble with USB-Sticks. Thats another story, but close
enough the be alert just buying any plug n play solution what may not
work later.

Any experience?
Thanks!
herb langhans