Re: Simple IPSEC client with certificate - phase 1 time out

Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost> writes:

  >> What does a "setkey -aD" output?

  > No SAD entries. And no SPD entries either.
  > I guess they would be added by the phase1-up script...?

In my experience, SPD entries are added outside of racoon to tell the
kernel that certain traffic should have IPsec protection.   I don't
understand how in your setup that's supposed to work, or what is
triggering racoon to start the negotiation.

> Looking at the tcpdump I wonder why the NetBSD client says it is exchanging
> "isakmp: phase 2" packets, while the Lancom still calls these isakmp
> notifies "Phase-1 SA"?
>
> IKE info: ISAKMP_NOTIFY_DPD_R_U_THERE sent for Phase-1 SA to peer
> VPNCLIENT15EF90, sequence nr 0x7a8b3f4b

I think this is ok.   I have not read the specs in a long time, but I
think that notifications (INITIAL_CONTACT, DPD, etc.) are sent as phase
2 other messages (meaning they are protected in the phase 1 SA), but are
considered control messages about the phase 1 SA.   Other phase 2
messages are used to create a phase 2 SA, which is loaded into the
kernel, and then data flows over that.

So I don't think the 1/2 terminology difference about notifies is a problem.