Re: non-ASCII support?

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 07:46:56AM +1100, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> Folks - I use a combination of bash, screen, irssi (all on NetBSD) at
> the remote end and putty (on Windows) or Terminal (on Ubuntu) at the
> local end and haven't been able to get utf-8 working end-to-end ...
>
> Are there tips or pointers on getting more-than-merely-ASCII working
> with this combination? Are there testing tools I can use to work out
> which bit might be dropping the ball?

I remember only setting LANG for screen and clearing TERMCAP for irssi,
the latter only being relevant for irssi-colors:

   irssi_su LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/pkg/bin/screen -S irssi -d -m -e^Yy \
   	sh -c \"TERMCAP= exec /usr/pkg/bin/irssi --home=/data/irssi\"

   (irssi_su being something like `su irssi -c')

That's remote NetBSD-6 and local GNU/Linux.

		Petar