Re: Installing NetBSD 6.5.1 on a Macbook Pro 1,1 in a dual boot configuration

Patrick <outside%d26.net@localhost> writes:

>> However, I am pretty sure I had GPT issues and ended up zeroing the
>> disk and using an MBR label, perhaps due to what you are reporting.
>> Running fdisk and gpt show on the amd64 system confirms that.  I was
>> just trying to use the machine to test building packages under 7, and
>> I didn't want to dual-boot, so I didn't worry about the gpt issues.
> I'm curious what your partition setup was -- did you have to have a
> standalone partition to hold rEFInd or rEFIt?

I used the whole disk for NetBSD, with a/b/e for root/swap/usr.  I did
not use (or even know about) rERIt.

>> Other than bootblocks, I think netbsd 6 probably and definitely 7 are
>> ok with gpt labels.  So you may be able to create a partition for
>> NetBSD within OS X, and then boot off usb and manually newfs and
>> unpack setes into the dkN wedge that is created from the netbsd gpt
>> partition.  Probably you can install the gpt bootblocks, but I'm
>> somewhat unclear on those.

> After much trial and error, I managed to get the above method to work:
> manually unpacking the sets I needed into the dkN wedge.  The current
> challenge lies in the boot process.  Realizing you did not go
> dual-boot, do you have any suggestions on how to install the boot
> code?  When using installboot I've tried:
>
> installboot - /dev/dk3 bootxx_ffsv2

There are multiple stages of boot.  The first sector usually has some
sort of "MBR" bootblock, and then the secondary blocks that you
installed and then /boot.   So you may need gpt biosboot.