Installing NetBSD 6.5.1 on a Macbook Pro 1,1 in a dual boot configuration

Hi.

I am trying to install NetBSD 6.5.1 on a Macbook Pro, early 2006, in a dual boot configuration. The laptop was given to me so I have pretty much started from scratch:

1. Reformatted internal drive
2. Installed Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) from a retail DVD
3. Installed refind (Note 1)
4. Downloaded NetBSD/i386 and copied it to a USB key (Note 2)

Note 1:
Version 0.9.2.  Installed using:
./install.sh -- notefi

Note 2:
File NetBSD-6.1.5-i386.img

The USB key boots fine with rEFInd, and I am able to step through the install process until it dies whilst executing this command:

/sbin/newfs -V2 -O 1 -b 16384 -f 2048 /dev/rwd0a

I've been reviewing the instructions at this link : https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_install_netbsd_on_an_apple_macbook_with_core2duo/ and I believe the issue issue may be , "[s]ince you need GPT partitions for rEFIt and OS X, dk(4} wedges will be added for them. Since the disk can only be accessed via wedges once at least one wedge has been added, and sysinst(8) does not know about wedges, the installation will fail with a `device busy' when sysinst tries to newfs(8) the NetBSD partition(s)."

I haven't been able to get anywhere, and I feel this may be because the docs are rather old, and refernce rEFIt and not rEFInd.

Has anyone had any luck with installing NetBSD 6.x on an Intel Mac?

Thanks
-Patrick