Re: NetBSD on Intel Celeron J1900 / ASRock Q1900B-ITX

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Jörn Clausen <joernc%googlemail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Maybe this is a similar problem to the one reported by Sridhar earlier
> this month, maybe it's something different...
>
> I am trying to install NetBSD 7.0 on an ASRock Q1900B Mini-ITX board,
> but installation hangs there as well. The hard disk is detected, then
> the installer waits for about a minute, then the message
>
> uhub0:device problem, disabling port 1
>
> is shown, and boot and root devices are requested. I am trying to
> install from a CD-ROM attached via USB.
>
> The board has a serial connector, but I need some assistance actually
> booting via/to the serial console, in order to provide a full boot
> message log. I do have another NetBSD machine connected via a
> USB-to-Serial cable and programs like "cu" or "miniterm" seem to
> attach to /dev/dtyU0. What are probably good connection parameters?
> What do I have to do to make the problematic machine actually write to
> the serial console?

I don't think the default kernel writes to a serial console on amd64
or i386. Looks like there might be a boot CD that uses the console
here:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.0/amd64/installation/cdrom/

I wouldn't know what the serial port setup is without digging through
the config for the kernel on that CD, but guessing 9600 8n1 like most
stuff.

I've had pretty good luck with just booting an install kernel from
some boot device. You might be able to write the CD image to a USB
stick and give that a try as well.

Andy