Printing to a network printer by IP address

(NetBSD 7 amd64)

Is is possible to print to an ethernet-connected printer with just the
standard NetBSD print commands, without going through CUPS? The printer
is connected directly to the network switch and has a fixed IP address
on the LAN; there is no print server. It is a business-class Ricoh
Aficio MP C2800 Postscript and PCL printer.

I have a hard time getting a conceptual overview of printing in BSD and
Linux to be honest; it seems to be a bit of a minefield with postscript,
CUPS, filters, ghostscript, foomatic, drivers, spooling, line printing
and so on.

At the moment I would like to print a copy of some of the text
configuration files in /etc but it would be useful eventually to be
able to print documents formatted with graphics as well.

--
Gerard Lally